This website is hosted and maintained by the Central Statistics Office
Statcentral.ie is committed to ensuring that this website is accessible to everyone. We strive to create services that are accessible to all people, of all ages and all abilities, making it easy for every single person to reach our content. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the accessibility of this site, please contact us, as we are continually striving to improve the experience for all visitors.
This site contains many features to help users with disabilities navigate easily. These include the use of keyboard shortcuts for all major links and special links to enable users to jump over navigation bars to the next item.
This website is designed for maximum accessibility. Frames are not used, tables are only used for tabulating data and images are kept to a minimum and always described in alt text.
A lot of web pages can be difficult to view because the text is too small to comfortably read. Font sizes of the text throughout the site are specified using relative units of measurement. In practical terms this means that you can modify the size of the text using the 'Text Size' option on the 'View' dropdown menu from the Toolbar in Internet Explorer, or else using the Ctrl + or Ctrl - in other browsers such as Mozilla and Opera.
All content images used on this site include descriptive ALT attributes. Purely decorative graphics include empty ALT attributes.
This site and all its archives use cascading style sheets for visual layout.
If your browser or browsing device does not support style sheets at all, the content of each page is still readable.
Many links have title attributes which describe the link in greater detail, unless the text of the link already fully describes the target (for instance the Headline of an article).
Wherever possible, links are written to make sense out of context. Many browsers (such as JAWS, Home Page Reader, Lynx, and Opera) can extract the list of links on a page and allow the user to browse the list separately from the page.
Link text is never duplicated; two links with the same link text always point to the same address.
There are no links that open new windows without warning.
All pages on this site include a consistent set of global navigation links.
All pages other than the pages linked to by the main menu tabs have a "breadcrumb"; trail of links leading up to the home page.
All pages on this site include a search box (insert access key number here)
Semantic Markup - Navigating Using Headings
This website is built using semantic markup. This allows the site to be easily navigated using the headings.
Visitors using recent versions of screen readers can navigate using the following keystrokes:
- * H to cycle forwards through the headings
- * Shift + H to cycle backwards through the headings
- * 1 to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the next heading on this level)
- * INSERT + F6 to provide a list of all headings
Visitors using recent Opera can navigate headings using the following keystrokes :
- * S to cycle forwards through the headings
- * W to cycle backwards through the headings
Special shortcuts known as Access keys let you navigate statcentral.ie without using your mouse. They can be used to jump directly to different sections of statcentral.ie or certain areas within a page, without having to move your mouse at all.
Windows users can navigate with the accesskey feature by typing ALT+Accesskey.
On the Mac, you would use CTRL+Accesskey (not COMMAND+Accesskey, which can produce undesired effects).
Internet Explorer users may also need to hit the "enter" key to activate a link.
Windows users will find that accesskeys take precedence over application commands, which can still be accessed from the keyboard by first typing the menu shortcut key (usually ALT) followed by the letter corresponding to the desired menu item.
List of Access Keys:
The home page all the other pages define the following access keys:
- Access key 1 - Home page
- Access key 2 - News
- Access key 3 - About Us
- Access key 4 - Contact Us
- Access key 5 - Feedback
- Access key 6 - Search
- Access key 0 - Accessibility statement
This website uses skip links, allowing people with screenreaders to skip over the extensive menus.
This site has a Google Search engine. View search engine help page.
The Central Statistics Office is constantly striving to make our websites more accessible. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the accessibility of this site, please contact us, as we are continually striving to improve the experience for all visitors.
As technologies become more available and sophisticated, the Statcentral.ie will endeavor to:
- ensure that its website works well with these assistive technologies to ensure an accessible experience for disabled users
- provide this accessibility Help page which will guide users in customizing their computers (either by explaining the accessibility features of their operating system or browser, or by introducing them to the range of assistive technologies which are available) to provide them with the most accessible web experience of statcentral.ie
If you have any problem with an accessibility issue please contact e-Government Section at 021 4535545 or by e-mail.
- The home page, projects page, statistics page are Bobby AA approved, complying with all priority 1 guidelines of the W3 Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- All pages validate as XHTML 1.0 Strict.
- The documents are all marked with the Dublin Ohio set of metadata